KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 11 (Bernama) -- The Dewan Rakyat today rejected a motion to debate the riot in Kuala Terengganu on Saturday night in which seven people, including four policemen, were injured.
Dewan Rakyat Speaker Tan Sri Ramli Ngah Talib dismissed the motion on the ground that although the issue was of public interest, it was not urgent.
"What happened was the police were quelling a riot," he said.
When tabling the motion, Salahuddin Ayub (PAS-Kubang Kerian) said the Internal Security Ministry should explain why live bullets had been used against unarmed civilians.
"There are question marks over police integrity in this episode as it appeared that there was a `trigger-happy' attitude vis-a-vis civilians without giving a second thought to people's lives and public safety," he said.
Salahuddin claimed that such an incident would not have happened if police issued permits to those wishing to organise peaceful gatherings.
The riot was sparked when police instructed the crowd of hundreds at an illegal political gathering at Jalan Sultan Mahmud, close to Batu Burok in the Terengganu capital, to disperse.
Ruhanie, Husam and harakah tried to explore this incident further. Can always refer to their website. This particular is a bit tricky. But being far from the place, and for the lack of reliable information, i can only ask myself without expecting any answer:
1. when was the application for the permit made.
2. when was the application rejected or the organisers being called up for further negotiation on date and venue.
3. why was the road blocked when as everyone knows, terengganu seems to have only one coastal road. you block it, you call for massive jam.
4. is throwing bricks and stones normal in malaysia
5. has anybody forgotten about memali. Musa (the former TPM) will not forget because he presented a white paper or something in the parliment clarifying the incident.
6. why shoot?
7. why so many FRU's there
8. what people want to hear at the forum or ceramah.
9. will this incident hurt BN chance in Terengganu
10. What Menteri Besar Terengganu going to say
11. Sejak bila rakyat malaysia mahu bersengketa dengan anggota Polis??
12. Like to hear stories from that young soldier who hide under the truck in memali shivering like hell, thinking of mum and sisters. He wasnt scared of shooting or fighting against enemies, but at memali, it wasnt very clear who/where were the enemies......