Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Anwar pleads not guilty on sodomy charge.

So Anwar pleads not guilty. As expected he blurted out this case as a bad slander. Is it true? So we have to wait until July, the see something out of the trial within time alocated, 24 days. Will there be videos or photographs as evidence? Being old, at 60 may not hold water, as more and more cases surface with much older guys for rape and sodomy.

Lets the court decide and whatever come out of it, then for the record, we just take it irrespective of losing or winning. Court is not always the place, for both parties to emerge as winners! A different process will make both parties happy, maybe arbitration or out of court settlement.

Trial fixed for July after Anwar pleads not guilty.
by Irdiani Mohd Salleh

Mac 11 2009

Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim pleaded not guilty at the High Court yesterday to committing carnal intercourse against the order of nature on his former aide in June last year.

"I claim trial. This is bad slander," he said after the court interpreter read the charge to him.

Anwar was charged with committing carnal intercourse against the order of nature on Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, 24, at a condominium in Bukit Damansara here on June 26.

The case was heard before judge Mohamad Zabidin Mohd Diah after it was officially transferred to the High Court yesterday.

Anwar's lead counsel Sulaiman Abdullah told the court that the defence needed time to obtain full documents regarding the case, such as photographs, closed-circuit television camera recordings and DNA reports from the prosecution.
"We need to send these documents to our foreign experts. This will require more than a week," he said, adding that the defence had also filed an appeal over Zabidin's ruling on March 5.

Zabidin then ruled that the transfer certificate signed by Attorney-General Abdul Gani Patail was valid and therefore the case should be transferred to the High Court.

He fixed July 1 to 24 for trial.

Earlier yesterday, when the case was mentioned before Sessions Court judge Rozana Ali Yusoff, Sulaiman objected saying that the case should have been brought before the original judge hearing the case, S.M. Komathy Suppiah.

Komathy is on leave until Thursday.

Rozana, however, dismissed the objection, saying the High Court had made the order for the Sessions Court to transfer the case to the High Court and it was not necessary for the court to wait for Komathy.

"The case will not be prejudiced if it is transferred today," she said.

Outside the court, Anwar, who was accompanied by his wife, Datin Seri Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, said that as the case would be heard in July, he could now focus on three by-elections -- Bukit Gantang in Perak, Bukit Selambau in Kedah and Batang Ai in Sarawak -- which are all scheduled to be held on April 7.

Other sodomy cases worldwide
  1. Teen convicted of sodomy, assault News Enterprise
  2. Manila maid cries sponsor abuse - Incessant rape, sodomy, beatings Arab Times
  3. State to prosecute sodomy case against firefighter The Enterprise Ledge
  4. Jury finds former NFL kicker not guilty of alleged date rape OCRegister
  5. Ex-NFL kicker Zendejas acquitted of rape charges The Associated Press
  6. Retiree held over sodomy New Straits Times
  7. Accused Brooklyn Cops Appear In Court on Sodomy charges Brooklyn Daily Eagle