Thursday, May 08, 2008

Abdullah stopped Najib from seeing me, says Mahathir

Putra Jaya: Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad Wednesday said that he had wanted to meet Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak after the general election but they had not met until today.

Dr Mahathir claimed that this was because Najib had yet to get permission from Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to see him (Dr Mahathir).

"I would like to say here, that just after the election (on March 8) I wanted to see Najib...I wanted to go and see him. He said he would come and see me but first he had to get the permission from the PM. Apparently, he did not get permission, so until now he has not seen me," he told reporters here after delivering a keynote address on "National Sovereignty" at the Seventh Perdana Discourse Series at the Perdana Leadership Foundation.

On April 20, Dr Mahathir called Najib a coward but the Deputy Prime Minister retorted the next day that he was not. here