- September 26, 2008 22:55 PM
Umno Youth vice head Khairy Jamaluddin has said that the decision of the party's Supreme Council to move the General Assembly to March next year can complicate the campaigns of those standing in the election.
The campaign period which was originally only two months would be extended to six months and this would make it difficult for the candidates eyeing higher posts like himself, he said.
"We know this may be the final decision. For those contesting for the post of divisional youth head, it is okay but for me who is contesting for the youth head of the movement, it will be a decision which complicates the campaign.
"The campaign period will become longer and it will not be easy. Remember the two-week election campaign, even that was not easy what more six months.
"It is in this six months we have to campaign," he told Bernama after attending a breaking of fast at the residence of Terengganu Besar Datuk Ahmad Said in Kijal here Friday night.
Khairy who is Rembau Member of Parliament, has announced his candidacy for the post of Umno Youth head during party elections which were initially slated for December.
However, the Umno Supreme Council today decided to move the date of the General Assembly, during which the elections are to be held, to March next year.
The divisional delegates meetings, where nominations for national posts will take place, will start on Oct 9 as scheduled.
Khairy said Umno Youth would respect and abide by the decision of the Supreme Council.
Ahmad who is Terengganu Umno liaison chief also said that the Supreme Council's decision had to be respected. "It proves that the power transition in Umno as the main Malay party runs perfectly and in order," he said.
Umno president and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said earlier that the postponement was to facilitate an early transition of power although the original plan was for him to hand over to his deputy, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, in June 2010.
Meanwhile, Khairy who yesterday claimed that he was being sabotaged by certain quarters who prevented party grassroots from meeting him, said he would not hesitate to diclose the culprits if they continued to do so.
He said he would bring the matter up to the Supreme Council if his campaign was adversely affected by the restriction. "So far, it is not too serious but it has more or less affected the campaign," he said.
Besides Khairy, others who have offered themselves for the same post are Jerlun Member of Parliament Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir, Perlis Umno liaison deputy chairman Datuk Zahidi Zainul Abidin and former Selangor Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Mohamad Khir Toyo.
When asked whether the restriction came from his rivals, Khairy said: "I need not comment; make your own assumptions."
source: Postponement Can 'Complicate Campaign', Khairy Says