Sunday, September 21, 2008

We're all class-ed multiculturalists now!

Azly Rahman
http://azlyrahman-illuminations.blogspot.com/


Growing up in a Malay kampong in Johor Bahru, having been born in a British Military hospital in Singapore, schooled in Kuantan, Seremban, Shah Alam and moving from one realm of cultural experience to the next, living in from one enclave to another in the process of being schooled and in the process of being and becoming an educator, ending up in a town a half and hour's drive from New York City where I have lived for several years, I sometimes wonder if all these makes me a "cultural construction" of "multi-ethnicity" or a "Malay" still? Or --- how "Malay" am I still? Or --- what is a
Malay"? as I would ask what is an "American"?

Full: We're all class-ed multiculturalists now!
Malaysia Today, Malaysia