Friday, September 19, 2008

Rosmah: My Conscience Is Clear

Wife of deputy prime minister Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor said, the Altantuya Shaariibuu case should not become a stumbling block for the political career of her husband Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak. She said those were slanderous remarks made by his rivals in a bid to kill his political future, and were not the facts.

However, she was worried that people would choose to listen to rumours instead of facts.

She said, as long as her husband is working hard, sincere, responsible, persistent and confident, he will win the trust of Malaysians. She said she was very clear that her husband is a good guy, who is not easily battered or shaken.

"Why should his political future be affected by this incident? That is not the truth! I am only worried that people will choose to listen to rumours instead of facts."

She pointed out that Malaysians know how to discern between facts and lies. Even if the online media continue to come out with false and unjust reports, Malaysians will still find out the truth in the end, she added.

"Although some people keep on spreading venomous rumours, by comparison, people are more concerned about their jobs, incomes, and their children's education."

During an exclusive interview with Sin Chew Daily at her house in Jalan Duta, Kuala Lumpur, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor talked about her feelings on the implication of Datuk Seri Najib in the murder case of Mongolian woman Altantuya Shaariibuu.

"I really don't care how people misunderstand me. The important thing is that my conscience is clear."

She stressed that her conscience is clear in the face of rumours and slanders targeted at her, and that it was not necessary for her to prove anything.

"I have not done anything wrong or hurt anyone. Why can't I lift up my head and walk with confidence? I really don't care how people misunderstand me. The important thing is that my conscience is clear."

She emphasised that her relationship with Najib is not as vulnerable as what others might have thought. They understand and support each other. Najib also keeps on reminding her that as the wife of a politician, she may have to encounter all kinds of rumours and verbal assaults.

"We understand and support each other. Please tell the whole world that I am not a dumb. I'm well aware of my husband's characters, just like he is well aware of mine. If there is anything I don't like about him, I'll talk to him in private. The same thing for him."

Most worried that people can't tell between what's right and wrong

Rosmah went on to say that politics sometimes made her shudder with fear. However, what she is most worried about is not her husband or herself, but the young generation of Malaysians.

She said, it is worrisome what kind of values young generation of Malaysians, who are raised in an environment filled with all sorts of doubts and bewilderment, will possess, adding that the noble values and merits passed down from our forefathers will have to be lost forever.

"It is not wrong to have political ambitions, but will you be pleased with the discarding of moral values and principles, as well as the destruction of those excellent values that could have been inherited by our children, just because of some personal gains?"

Rosmah: My Conscience Is Clear
Malaysia Today, Malaysia - 6 hours ago