Copter fiasco: PM to meet Mindef sec-gen
Syed Jaymal Zahiid |
breaking news updated 5pm The premier will meet the Defence Ministry secretary-general today to seek clarification on the Eurocopter controversy, and explain the matter to the public soon.
I was reading what Lim Kit Siang wrote in his blog on Eurocopter deal. He mentioned Abdullah, Minister of Defence, SCOMI and Kamaluddin in the article.
Abdullah should be aware that his first act as Defence Minister, announcing that the Defence Ministry has agreed to acquire new helicopters from European helicopter manufacturers, Eurocopter, to replace the Nuri has been immediately dogged by integrity and transparency questions – in particular, the allegation about the involvement of his son Kamaluddin Abdullah in the Eurocopter deal. The Eurocopter Cougar EC725 was one of four aircraft shortlisted by RMAF. The other three were the Sikorsky S92, Agusta Westland EH-101 Merlin and the Russian-made Mil Mi-17 Hip. If no full explanation is forthcoming from Abdullah, I will be raising this issue in Parliament when it reconvenes on October 13. Click here for more: Why Eurocopter’s Cougar has been selected to replace Nuri
2. Today, Debra Chong reported in Malaysian Insider that The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) will be conducting inquiries into a number of recent controversial deals involving both the public and private sector, including the acquisition of Bank Internasional Indonesia (BII) by Maybank, the Eurocopter deal and the broadband project awarded to Telekom Malaysia.
3. If we push the clock back a little bit, on 26th of September 2008, barely 9 days after taking over the Ministry of Defence from Najib, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi announced the Defence Ministry has agreed to acquire new helicopters from European helicopter manufacturers, Eurocopter, to replace the Nuri, He said the ministry was now scrutinising the clauses in the agreement before signing it officially with the company concerned."I have been told that the Defence Ministry has identified Eurocopter as the replacement for Nuri. Click here: Eurocopter Awarded Tender To Replace Nuri
4. Purchasing defence assets has been critised over and over again. It was not too long ago that Anwar while campaigning for Ijok by election pushed Najib to the corner with the accusation of commissions on arm deals. As far as Anwar is concerned we do have to distinguish between the issue and the motive. Observers noted Anwar's strategy in climbing up the greasy pole when Najib is already half way up, and he himself is still blackened with dirts down below. Abdullah has been spared as sacred cow.
5. Even China has demanded US to scrap US6.5 billions arms deal with Taiwan! click here US must scrap Taiwan arms deal, says China.
6. Arms deal is always full of controversies. But everybody knows that no billion dollar deals will get through without Prime Minister's saying yes. Anyway Nuri has to be replaced. Full Stop!