Saturday, October 25, 2008

Umno Youth Chief Race: Khairy can now take on Mukhriz

It’s official. Khairy Jamaluddin can now take on Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir for the Umno youth chief post.

Khairy, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi’s son-in-law, secured his 38th, 39th, and 40th nominations from the Tawau, Tangga Batu and Gua Musang divisions.

On hearing the news, Khairy said that he was “pleased to have qualified given the level of scrutiny I have had to go through, from the time I entered the political arena in 1999.”

“I shall subject myself now to an even more intense screening not just by delegates to the Pemuda UMNO General Assembly but all Malaysians who have encountered a range of stories, good and bad, about me.

“I accept that the onus is on me to explain my convictions and reasons for offering myself as a prospective leader,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mukhriz, the son of former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, is still in the lead with 64 nominations, well over the crucial 39 needed.

The third contender Datuk Seri Dr Khir Toyo has yet to make it with only 30 nominations.

His earlier nomination from Gua Musang was nullified and in a new meeting convened on Saturday, the nomination was given to Khairy instead.

The 191 divisions have until Nov 9 to hold their meetings and offer their nominations ahead of party polls in March.



Umno Youth Chief Race: Khairy can now take on Mukhriz
Malaysia Star, Malaysia