By Rashitha A. HamidKUALA LUMPUR
Saturday February 21, 2009
Police do not believe that the distribution of Elizabeth Wong’s scandalous pictures was meant as a “trap” for the victim.
City police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Muhammad Sabtu Osman said police instead think that the pictures were taken by someone known to the victim.
He said police investigation was focusing on who took the pictures, who distributed them and their motives.
DCP Muhammad Sabtu also confirmed that they are looking for Wong’s ex-boyfriend, Hilmi Malek, 32, who is believed to be in a neighbouring country.
“He should come forward to help us in the investigations and also to clear his name. It is important to do so,” he told a press conference yesterday.
Attempts to contact Hilmi have proven to be futile and police would seek the help of Interpol.
Wong resigned as Bukit Lanjan assemblyman and Selangor executive councillor after the pictures started circulating in public on Monday. She has since left the country.
Police have identified the gadget used to photograph Wong while she was sleeping and the time and location they were taken.
DCP Muhammad Sabtu also denied reports that two individuals were detained on Thursday night in connection with the case.
He said there had been some confusion. Reporters from a local daily had been called in to have their statements recorded. Eli Wong case not a ‘trap’