Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Wan Ahmad Farid denies being an elitist

The Kuala Terengganu by-election is still some time away but the BN candidate, Senator Datuk Wan Ahmad Farid Wan Salleh, has already found himself having to deal with the oft-repeated complaint that he is elitist and not a man of the people.

"If I am elitist, how is it I got to the position I hold in Umno. I have been in Umno since 1995, I was a Pemuda chief in Kuala Terengganu.

“How could I have come this far if I had been elitist," said the Terengganu Umno division chief.

Wan Ahmad Farid, who is the Deputy Home Minister, was speaking to reporters at the parliament lobby today.

He said the people who labelled him an elitist obviously had no idea about the work he had been doing on the ground.

Wan Ahmad Farid denies being an elitist
New Straits Times, Malaysia