- Hudud NOT in Pakatan policy, Lim tells Husam from malaysiakini
- Dec 22, 08 3:03pm
- The DAP veteran wants the PAS vice-president Husam Musa to clarify his statement that the Islamic party would pursue its agenda on hudud.
2. Before we go even further lets understand what is hudud. Hudud ( Arabic حدود, also transliterated hadud, hudood; singular hadd, حد, literal meaning "limit", or "restriction") is the word often used in Islamic literature for the bounds of acceptable behaviour and the punishments for serious crimes. In Islamic law or Sharia, hudud usually refers to the class of punishments that are fixed for certain crimes that are considered to be "claims of God." They include theft, consumption of alcohol, robbery, illegal sexual intercourse, false accusation of zina, sedition or high treason and apostasy.
3. Hudud offenses are one of four different kinds in Islamic penal Law.
- Qisas- meaning retaliation, and following the biblical principle of "an eye for an eye."
- Diyya- compensation paid to the heirs of a victim. In Arabic the word means both blood money and ransom.
- Hudud - fixed punishments
- Tazir- punishment, usually corporal, administered at the discretion of the judge
Hudud offenses are defined as "claims of God," and therefore the sovereign was held to have a responsibility to punish them. All other offenses were defined as "claims of [His] servants," and responsibility for prosecution rested on the victim. This includes murder, which was treated as a private dispute between the murderer and the victim's heirs. The heirs had the right to compensation and to demand execution of the murderer, but they could also choose to forgive. [source Hudud]
4. Forgive me for treating Hudud lightly as I equate it as lures in angling. Hudud is HUDUD as it is meant to be. But when hudud is refered by politicians, it is alot easier to view things from their angle.
5. PAS has been using Hudud as their anchor for years. I cant guess with pinpoint accuracy as to when Hudud surfaced in political battle cry. I suppose Hudud made a strong appearance in PAS circles with the emergence of the young turks, Hadi Awang included. The new breed were seen very aggresive. When Musa Hitam read the content of Memali white paper in parliment, he nonchalantly focussed on Hadi Awang's famous decree on kafir and hudud.
6. DAP has been fanning Hudud in a different way. They had been telling their communities [Chinese i suppose], that they are against Hudud. Somehow both DAP and PAS are able to sit down and agree on a few things strategically. But they are able to get up and talk different things strategically to their folks. It is like a marriage of convenience.
7. At the same time, Umno had been baiting PAS on Hudud. They had been asking Kelantan's government and a term-old-under-PAS Terengganu's government when are they going to implement Hudud. Hudud is simply a lure used by many as they dust of their old fishing tackle, and treat themself to a new tackle made to handle the action.
8. Politic is the action, whether it is saltwater or freshwater. So, it wont be long before the lagoon of Kuala Terengganu will host the biggest ever fishing competition. Will Hudud remain as the most alluring lure? [Siapa kata lagoon itu hanya untuk Monsoon Cup?]
beritadarigunung: I dont mean to be playful, but the politicians are not serious either.