more religious now?
I ask because most are very sensitive on religious issues even those not within a particular religious belief. Abdullah seems attracted with the idea of inter-religion discourse. Hafiz reported an important case in Malaysiakini on azan controversy.
- Kok sues Khir, Utusan for RM30 mil from malaysiakini
- Hafiz Yatim | Dec 23, 08 12:12pm
- Selangor senior exco and Seputeh MP Teresa Kok filed the suit against former MB Dr Mohd Khir Toyo and Utusan Malaysia over the azan controversy.
2. Before the issue gets out of hand among us, it would be best to know what is Azan. Not a single soul in this beloved country hasnt heard of azan in his/her lifetime. Five times a day coming out from speakers perched high on minarets. At home, right on the dot, there would be a replay of recorded azan on TV. At worst, there would be running notice on azan where some of us pass it for just another adverts.
3. Azan is the first call to prayer. The Azan is uttered in a loud, albeit sweet melodious, voice to announce to the faithful that it is time for the Obligatory Prayer and to invite them to offer the prayers. Those who perform Azan are known as 'Muezzin.' The honour of being the first Muezzin goes to Hazrat Bilal, a black slave who converted to Islam. He had a very sweet, resonant and musical voice. He was appointed as Muezzin by the Prophet of Islam. The appointment of a black slave as the first person to call Muslims for prayers, shows that in Islam all human beings are treated as equals. Rich or poor, black or white, short or tall - all are equal in the eyes of Allah. It is the piety of each individual that makes the difference.
4. Azan is recited in a loud voice by the Muezzin facing the direction of the Ka'ba in the following words, which are said in the order mentioned: [click here: Azan - The Call For Prayers ]
5. Teresa contended that Dr Mohamad Khir had falsely claimed that pressure from non-Muslims and a state exco-backed petition had forced a mosque at Kota Damansara to stop making the azan call (call to prayer) through the loudspeaker.
6. It was only last week that Teresa seek a similar sum of RM30million on YB 'J' cerpen [short story] published on October 12.
Today, Utusan the Umno owned newspaper lost a lawsuit by Mahfuz the PAS information chief over an article which suggested that he backed the violent overthrow of government. He as awarded RM120,000. The article titled Demonstrasi - Mahfuz isytihar bersama Keadilan was published on March 4, 2001.
I am sure, this trend will continue for quite sometime ......
Aikurushii Teresa Kok, Mo'afagh bashed [ a phrase in Farsi ~ good luck ]